Goals and self appraisal
Active lexical chunk
Interview and Technical Presentation, english related to CS, english at work,
Talk with interviewer, colleague, people
All CS contents
no chinese; 意群;English neural network
Why I cannot understand some words in conversation.
know the word but with wrong pronounciation. parameter, ride, rid, raid, read.
know the word and pronounciation, but cannot distguish it form other sounds in sentence, e.g. ‘bed, bad, bide’
[5 principles and 7 actions][https://daringtolivefully.com/how-to-learn-a-new-language]
- Focus on language content that is relevant to you.
- No Chinese
Use the new language as a tool to communicate. Instead of simply learning the language in an academic setting, put yourself in situations which force you to use the language in order to be able to communicate with others.
- Comprehensible input
- Learning a language is not about acquiring knowledge. Instead, in many ways it’s about physiological training.
- Your psychological state matters. If you’re sad, angry, worried, or upset, you’re not going to learn the new language.
The Seven Actions
- Listen; a lot.
- Focus on getting the meaning first, even before you get the words.
- Start mixing.
- Focus on the core. With every language there’s high frequency content. As an illustration, in English, one thousand words cover 85% of anything you’re going to say in daily life. Three-thousand words give you 98% coverage. All the other words in the English language are the icing on the cake.
- Get a language parent.
- Copy the face. In order to learn to make the sounds that will allow you to speak the new language, you have to watch the face of people who speak that language.
- “Direct Connect” to mental images. Most people learning to speak another language will make a list of words that they want to learn in their mother tongue, and next to each word they’ll place the equivalent in the language that they’re trying to learn. Then they just go over the list repeatedly in the hopes of memorizing the words in the new language. This is very inefficient.